Agenda and draft minutes

Bishopston, Cotham and Redland Neighbourhood Partnership
Monday, 10th October, 2016 7.00 pm

Venue: Claremont Room, Redland Green School, Redland Court Road, Bristol BS6 7EH

Contact: Jeremy Livitt 

Items
No. Item

15.

Welcome, Introductions and Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

The NP noted that Mark Riley had resigned from the BCR NP and that Simon Baines would be resigning with effect from the end of this meeting.

16.

Declarations of Interest

To note any declarations of interest from the Councillors.  They are asked to indicate the relevant agenda item, the nature of the interest and in particular whether it is a disclosable pecuniary interest.

 

Please note that the Register of Interests is available at https://www.bristol.gov.uk/councillors/members-interests-gifts-and-hospitality-register

 

Any declarations of interest made at the meeting which is not on the register of interests should be notified to the Monitoring Officer for inclusion.

 

Minutes:

No declarations of interest were made.

17.

Minutes of the Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 217 KB

To agree the minutes of the last meeting held on 20th June 2016 as a correct record.

Minutes:

Resolved – that the above Minutes be approved as a correct record and signed by the Chair.

 

Action: JL

18.

Public Forum

Up to 30 minutes is allowed for this item.

 

Any member of the public or Councillor may participate in Public Forum.  The detailed arrangements for so doing are set out in the Public Information Sheet at the back of this agenda.  Public Forum items should be emailed to democratic.services@bristol.gov.uk and please note that the following deadlines will apply in relation to this meeting:-

 

Petitions and Statements - Petitions and statements must be received on the working day prior to the meeting.  For this meeting this means that your submission must be received in this office at the latest by 12.00 noon on Friday 7th October 2016.

 

Minutes:

A Public Forum statement was received and noted in respect of consultation on the proposed reductions to the evening and Sunday ‘s Bus Network.

 

Action: None

19.

Small Grants Report pdf icon PDF 175 KB

Please note that this report is not yet available and will be dispatched next week.

Minutes:

Jenny Hoadley drew NP members’ attention to the recommendations of the Small Grants Panel in respect of the following applications.

 

Gloucester Road Central

 

This application would improve the environment around Gloucester Road and was supported by traders. It would be used to fund several banners from Gloucester Road up to Gainsborough Square, with the remaining part of the funding (£7,000) to be made by traders.

The NP discussed whether or not the amount funded by the NP should be greater than proposed by the Small Grants Fund group ie 50%.

The following comments were made:

(1)        Crowd funding could be used to promote this scheme and encourage more traders to support it. Reference was made to Destination Bristol’s recent crowd funding workshop and it was suggested that an NP member could be trained to do this;

(2)        Extra investment up to 50% would help to ensure that the scheme was as successful as possible;

(3)        The NP should remain with the proposed recommendation of the Group to fund £4,820. The remaining amount of funding can be obtained – there are other sources which could be used to provide it;

(4)        The recommended amount of funding by the Small Grants Group was a significant amount

It was moved by Councillor Negus and seconded by Councillor Combley that £4820 be awarded to this Group as recommended by the Small Grants Sub Group.

An amendment was moved by Councillor Brook, which was not seconded, that 50% of the £13,450 requested be awarded to this Group.

 

Upon being put to the vote, the original motion was approved (6 for, 0 against).

 

Resolved (unanimously) by the Neighbourhood Committee –

(1)        that Gloucester Road Central be awarded £4,820 as recommended by the Small Grants Sub Group

(2)        that subject to eligibility part of the Gloucester Road Central Application should be funded through CIL income

 

TIGER

 

Following a subsequent approach that had been made to TIGER, they had indicated that they would be delighted to discuss the matter further with Cotham School and submit a separate application at a later date.

NP members expressed support for the suggestion of a subsequent application involving Cotham School.

It was moved by Councillor Fodor, seconded by Councillor Brook and upon being put to the vote was

 

 

Resolved (unanimously) by the Neighbourhood Committee – that

 

(1)        TIGER be awarded £1924.44 as recommended by the Small Grants Sub Group.

(2)        the NP would be happy to receive a further application from TIGER concerning Cotham School

 

Action: Andrew McGrath

 

WIAS (Women Independent Alcohol Support)

 

The NP noted that this application was very important and, whilst a comparatively small amount of money, would be of huge benefit. It was encouraging to see an organisation for women in this area since Alcoholics Anonymous were more male-oriented.

It was moved by Councillor Negus, seconded by Councillor Fodor and upon being put to the vote was

 

Resolved (unanimously) by the Neighbourhood Committee - that WIAS be awarded £1894 as recommended by the Small Grants Sub-Group.

 

Action: Andrew  ...  view the full minutes text for item 19.

20.

Reports from Working Groups

Minutes:

The NP received the following reports from Working Groups.

20a

Street Scene pdf icon PDF 78 KB

Minutes:

The NP congratulated Gavin Spittlehouse for his work in planting 2,000 trees.

 

Liz Kew confirmed that a garage had been located as a storage area in future but did not have access to water. Previous funding had been used to tackle graffiti at the lower end of Gloucester Road – this proposed funding would be used for the top end of Gloucester Road.

 

The NP noted that the Group ran a closed Facebook Page which would shortly be opened up to Councillors.

 

It was moved by Councillor Combley, seconded by Councillor Fodor and upon being put to the vote it was

 

Resolved (unanimously) by the Neighbourhood Committee – that additional funding of £6,890 be approved to enable the group to carry out work throughout autumn and winter.

 

Action: Andrew McGrath

20b

Sustainable Transport pdf icon PDF 54 KB

Minutes:

Details of Sustainable Travel Working Group meetings, selection of future road schemes and the Special Public Forum were noted.

 

The NP noted that, following the Special Public Forum on 27th September 2016, the NP Chair had received over 800 responses. In addition, a newsletter was being worked upon.

 

The NP commented that the Special Public Forum had been a very successful meeting. Members’ attention was drawn to the Walking Map on Facebook which had new views and faces. It was noted that some of the links could be sent to NP members.

 

Resolved: that the report be noted.

 

Action: None

20c

Parks pdf icon PDF 51 KB

Please find attached a complementary report which requires Neighbourhood Committee decisions and, therefore, is being dispatched on Friday 30th September 2016.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Supply and Fixing Of Signage On Shared Use Paths In Ashley Down Green, Horfield Common and Redland Green

 

NP members were advised that the Service Director (Neighbourhoods and Communities) was investigating the possibility of a Council policy concerning signage in parks. In view of this, it was agreed that a decision on the Parks Group’s recommendation to approve £3500 to cover supply and fixing of signage on shared use paths in Ashley Down Green, Horfield Common and Redland Green should be postponed until a later date.

 

Action: Andrew McGrath – to add to a later Agenda as appropriate

 

Two Notice Boards – Ashley Down Green

 

Councillor Brook moved, seconded by Councillor Combley and, upon being put to the vote, it was

 

Resolved (5 for, 0 against, 1 abstention) by the Neighbourhood Committee - that up to £3,500 be approved to cover supply and fix two notice boards in Ashley Down Green.

 

Action: Andrew McGrath

 

Benches – Cotham Gardens and Lovers’ Walk

 

Councillor Negus moved, seconded by Councillor Lake and upon being put to the vote it was

 

Resolved (unanimously) by the Neighbourhood Committee - that additional expenditure of up to £11,000 be approved for refurbishment of benches in Cotham Gardens and Lovers Walk.

 

Action: Andrew McGrath

 

High Kingsdown Playground Refurbishment

 

Councillor Lake moved, seconded by Councillor Brook and upon being put to the vote it was

 

Resolved (unanimously) by the Neighbourhood Committee – that £26,000 be approved for the High Kingdsown Playground Refurbishment.

 

Action: Andrew McGrath

 

 

 

 

BCRNP Parks Working Group

 

The Neighbourhood Partnership unanimously approved the allocation of £50,000 for the Working Group budget.

 

Resolved – that £50,000 be approved by the Neighbourhood Partnership for the BCR NP Parks Working Group budget.

 

Action: Andrew McGrath

 

The NP noted that the proposed refurbishment of the playground at Cotham Gardens could not yet be voted upon as it was unpriced.

 

CIL – Parks Funding

 

Councillor Combley moved, it was duly seconded and upon being put to the vote

 

Resolved (unanimously) by the Neighbourhood Committee – that all the funding agreed for Parks be obtained through CIL wherever possible.

 

Action: Andrew McGrath

20d

Trees pdf icon PDF 63 KB

Minutes:

The NP noted that the report incorrectly stated that one of the sites on which trees were planted was outside the side entrance to 89 Redland Road (as opposed to the correct address of 93 Redland Road).

 

It was also noted that a future request for funding would be made by the University of Bristol.

 

The NP acknowledged that the Working Group was requesting funding of £3128.17 for future work.

 

Councillor Hance moved, seconded by Councillor Fodor and it was

 

Resolved (unanimously) by the Neighbourhood Committee that £3128.17 be approved for future work.

 

Action: Andrew McGrath

20e

Communication and Engagement pdf icon PDF 65 KB

Minutes:

The NP noted this report.

 

Members placed on record their thanks to Alison Bromilow for the success of the Community Fair Event.

 

Resolved: that the report be noted.

 

Action: None

21.

Neighbourhood Co-ordinator's Report pdf icon PDF 25 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The NP’s attention was drawn to the fact that, during the NP Equalities Review 2016, a survey showed that 3.4% of respondents referred to themselves as BME (Black Minority Ethnic) compared to 10.2% in the 2011 Census.

 

It was noted that the Round 3 3-ward Forum at 7pm on Thursday 8th December 2016 would now be held on Monday 21st November 2016. In addition, the Round 4 date of Wednesday 1th January 2017 was inaccurate.

 

Resolved by the Neighbourhood Partnership:

 

(1)        that the Communication and Engagement Working Group consider ways of improving the 3.4% of respondents referring to themselves as BME in the 2016 Equalities Review survey

(2)        that NP members be advised of the replacement date for the 2016/17 Round 4 3-ward Forum (previously 15th January 2017)

(3)        that the current budget of the NP be noted

(4)        that the information regarding the recent citywide event be noted

(5)        that the latest meeting schedule of dates for Forums and NP meetings in 2016/17 be noted (subject to the changes for Rounds 3 and 4 of the 3-Ward Forum mentioned above)

(6)        that the brief update regarding the recent equalities review be noted

(7)        that the latest devolved services updates be noted.

 

Action (1) and (2): Andrew McGrath

22.

Any Other Business

Minutes:

Following a request from a number of NP members, it was agreed that the informal NP meetings which had previously been discontinued, would recommence for January 2017 for the next NP meeting.

 

Action: Andrew McGrath

23.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting is scheduled to be held at 7.00pm on Monday 23rd January 2017 at Gloucestershire County Cricket Ground, Nevil Road, Bristol BS7 9EJ

Minutes:

Resolved – that the next meeting is scheduled at 7pm on Monday 23rd January 2017 at Gloucestershire Cricket Ground, Nevil Road, Bristol BS7 9EJ.

 

Action: None