Venue: A Committee Room - City Hall, College Green, Bristol, BS1 5TR. View directions
Contact: Amy Rodwell
The Chair welcomed all parties to the meeting and led introductions.
Apologies for absence were received from Cllr Chris Jackson, Cllr Paul Goggin and Cllr Andrew Brown.
To approve the minutes of the previous meeting held on 29 November 2021 as a correct record.
RESOLVED: that the Minutes of the previous Meeting held on 29 November be agreed as a correct record.
Declarations of Interest
To hear any declaration of interests from Councillors on the Area Committee.
Members of the public may make a written statement, ask a question or present a petition as long as it is about a matter for which this committee has responsibility. Your statement or question will be sent to the Committee and be available in the meeting room one hour before the meeting.
Please submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org. The following requirements apply:
· The statement is received no later than 12.00 noon on the working day before the meeting (Friday 15 July).
· The question is received no later than 5pm three clear working days before the meeting (Tuesday 12 July).
The report recommends funding decision on submitted Full Proposal for approval of S106 Tree planting funds.
The Community Resources Manager presented this report and highlighted the following points:
· [Para 3] There will be 6-month updates on all previously approved projects and legacy neighbourhood partnership projects. The next report will be published publicly by the end of August.
· [Para 4.c] Note that the previous cost of tree replacement of £765.21 per tree has increased to £1041.66. That has been held since 2013 due to Tree Bristol subsidising the price increases.
· [Para 4.d] A Bristol resident made a complaint to the ombudsman about the process for the informal Area Committee meetings as it is not clear why proposals are accepted or rejected. We will now publish the results and reasons after they are made at the informal meetings.
· It is notable that the principle of making these decisions outside of a public meeting was supported. The informal meetings are to set the agenda for the formal decision making meeting.
· [Para 5] This sets out CIL funding as of end June 2022. £116k of this is allocated for Hengrove Park, meaning only £37k is available.
· [Para 5.b.iii] Members noted there is no existing zebra crossing on Airport Road.
· Members noted the delay in delivery of some highways-based projects. They were reassured that they would happen as they have funding allocated, but this does not guarantee a timeframe. Estimated times will form part of the 6-month update published in August.
The Tree Bristol Officer joined the meeting to present Para 6, Tree Bristol:
· The proposal is to use unspent funds from last year to plant 2 trees in Stockwood and Hengrove.
· Trees for Climate Fund: The team has been very busy over the last week to try and identify sites for tree planting. Some Cllrs have been recommending sites, but the team would welcome more suggestions. Locations will need a minimum of 10 trees in 1/10 hectare.
· Members congratulated the Tree Bristol team for their excellent delivery over recent years and the positive impact it has on the city.
· Trees for Climate Fund tree planting locations are a minimum of 10 trees planted at least 20m from each other. 1/10 hectare is around 2 football pitches. Officers can measure the area by request. Empty green spaces or wide verges are good examples but should be tempered with the need for open space.
· This can include school land, and the parks team has already worked with some schools, such as the maze at Four Acres.
· Some members commented that they are unaware of what tree projects are going on and would appreciate more communications from the parks team. This can cause issues, such as trees being planted without local residents being aware. Officers confirmed they can inform members on new tree planting proposals. There is also a major report on tree planting being published in the next few weeks.
· Members queried the 1k cost for a tree planting and requested a breakdown. This cost includes the tree itself, which can be up to £300 depending on the ... view the full minutes text for item 5.