Agenda and draft minutes

Area Committee 4 - Thursday, 18th November, 2021 6.30 pm

Venue: Conference Hall - City Hall, College Green, Bristol, BS1 5TR. View directions

Items
No. Item

1.

Welcome, Apologies and Introductions pdf icon PDF 402 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Amirah Cole.

 

2.

Minutes of the previous meeting pdf icon PDF 465 KB

To consider the minutes of the last meeting held on the 28th July 2021

Minutes:

On some of the refused applications the reason given is insufficient funds, yet this is not true for all cases. Unfortunately, some of the reasons for refusal were not recorded in full detail. The officer apologised for this oversight and said in future full details for refusal on all applications will be recorded.

 

There is an error referring to Area Committee 3 instead of 4.

 

RESOLVED – that the Minutes of the previous Meeting held on 28th July 2021 be agreed as a correct record and signed by the Chair.

 

3.

Declarations of Interest

To hear any declaration of interests from Councillors on the Area Committee.

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

 

4.

Public Forum pdf icon PDF 3 MB

Members of the public may make a written statement ask a question or present a petition and is about a matter which is the responsibility of the committee concerned. Your statement or question will be sent to the Committee and be available in the meeting room one hour before the meeting.

 

Please submit it to democratic.services@bristol.gov.uk. The following requirements apply:

·         The statement is received no later than 12.00 noon on the working day before the meeting 17th November 2021.

·         The question is received no later than three clear working days before the meeting Friday 12th November 5pm.

 

 

Minutes:

Members considered the public forum statements and questions submitted in advance of the meeting.  Becky Atkinson, Sarah Cemlyn, Michal Ostromecki appeared in person to speak to their statements.

 

Ref No

Name

Title

PS01

Mr & Mrs Bridges

Soundwell Road

PS02

Montpelier Parks Group – Becky Atkinson

Montpelier Park and Albany Green

PS03

Mr Michal Ostromecki & Miss Anna Balcerek

Soundwell Road

PS04

Glynis Tony Collins

Soundwell Road

PS05

Jeremy Jones

Soundwell Road

PS06

Mr & Mrs S A Harris

Soundwell Road

PS07

Sarah Cemlyn

St Andrews Park proposal

PS08

Fern & Jason Bohin

Soundwell Road/ Grantham Road/ Broad Road improvements

PS09

Jim Reid

Soundwell Road/ Grantham Road

PS10

Stacey Downton

Soundwell Road

 

Members noted the statements submitted.

 

There was a discussion about how members of the public and organisations can be more aware of how these meetings work. Anyone that has submitted a proposal has been informed of the meeting and process. There was an acknowledgment that some people (especially from underrepresented groups) would need additional guidance about how the process works. A simple pdf guide would be helpful for members and the public.

5.

Community Resources Manager Update and Decision Report pdf icon PDF 9 MB

The report recommends funding decisions on submitted proposals for CIL and S106 funding; decisions on previously-allocated sums of S106 and CIL which are either underspent or have not been drawn-down; a decision on a proposal to ‘pair wards’ within the AC area.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Community Resources Manager presented the report and drew attention to the following:

 

a.      The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) available to the Area Committee totalled £1,412,364.54 (£714,234.78 General Expenditure, £698,129.76 Old Market Neighbourhood Development Plan).

b.      The Section 106 (S106) available to the Area Committee totalled £328,016.71

c.       The following projects were invited to submit stage 2 full proposals:

 

No.

Project Name

Outline £ requested/

offered

Full Proposal £ requested

CIL requested

S106 requested

S106 reference

1

Friends of St Andrews Park

£15,000

£19,800

£19,800

 

 

2

Montpelier Park – Play Area Improvements

£125,000

£125,000

£125,000

 

 

3

Bounding Dove – Friendly Neighbours

£21,000

£30,000

£30,000

 

 

4

St George Central – Soundwell Road Safety

£50,000

£50,000

£50,000

£23,156

01/02433 / Lodge

Road, Soundwell

£23,156

5

St George Park – Play Area Fencing

£29,375

£29,375

£29,375

 

 

6

Kings Centre Community Renovations

£40,000

£30,000

£30,000

 

 

7

Owen Square – Community Safety Project

£20,000

£20,000

£20,000

 

 

8

Whitehall Road Safety Scheme

£35,000

£80,000

£80,000

 

 

9

Pennywell Road Pedestrian Improvements

£48,288

£48,288.78

 

£48,288.78

16/04252 / land at

Braggs Lane, Old

Market £48,288.78

10

Hillside Road Safety Scheme

£25,000

£25,000

£21,785.84

£3,214.16

00/01698 / 73

Burchells Green

Road, St. George

£3,214.16

11

Rodney Road

Public Open

Space - POS

Improvements

£60,000

£60,000

£60,000

 

 

12

Netham Park –

Play Area

Improvements

£130,000

£130,000

£130,000

 

 

13

Beehive Reception

£12,000

£12,000

£12,000

 

 

14

St Philips Area – Pedestrian Crossings

£80,000

£160,000

£160,000

 

 

15

St Judes – Play

Area

Improvements

£100,000 (OM NDT)

£100,000

£100,000

 

 

16

Narroways

Millenium

Green

Pathway Improvement

£1,200

£1,200

£1,200

 

 

17

Nicholas Wanderers AFC Changing Rooms Extension

£40,000

£40,000

£40,000

 

 

 

TOTAL

£831,863

£970,664

£909,161

£51,502

 

 

An outline was provided to Committee on the proposals detailed in the table above.

 

In response to questions from Councillors the CRM clarified that:

 

a. Due to officer error, the Architecture Centre and Recliffe Gardening Group proposals were unable to be brought forward to this committee. These proposals could be presented at an additional meeting of the Committee or be pushed into next year.

ACTION KH to schedule meeting for end of January or early February. This should ideally combine the two outstanding proposals, the tree allocation and the policy / strategy issues raised in this meeting. 

 

b. There were 18 proposals, if the Committee approved all of them there would be a budget overspend of £75,000. It was not uncommon to have overspend at these meetings as more funding would be coming in.

RESOLVED Committee approved an overspend of £75,000 (with one abstention).

 

c. The Committee would welcome more applications from underrepresented groups. An away day / workshop for Members would be helpful to discuss how to achieve this. The Mayoral Commissions could be invited to assist.

 

d. Regarding proposal 2 (Montpelier Park), Members queried why the bid was for two green spaces where other parks proposals were generally on an individual basis. These two greens are very small, so officers recommended that they should be combined.   

 

e. Regarding proposal 4 (Soundwell Road). This was a difficult road presenting many  ...  view the full minutes text for item 5.