Agenda and draft minutes

Area Committee 6
Tuesday, 8th October, 2019 6.00 pm

We advise to view meetings via the webcast if possible, rather than in person. Revised arrangements may apply.

Venue: A Committee Room - City Hall, College Green, Bristol, BS1 5TR. View directions

Contact: Sam Wilcock 

Items
No. Item

7.

Election of Chair

Minutes:

Councillor Helen Holland was elected Chair for the meeting.

 

8.

Apologies for absence pdf icon PDF 98 KB

Minutes:

Apologies received from Councillors Tim Kent, Barry Clark and Steve Jones.  Councillors Mark Brain and Paul Goggin were not in attendance.

 

9.

Minutes of the last meeting 10th September 2018 pdf icon PDF 240 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the previous meeting on the 10th September 2018 were agreed as a correct record.

10.

Terms of Reference

See report at agenda item 6 for Terms of Reference details

Minutes:

The Terms of Reference, as approved by Council on 20 March 2018 and adopted at the Area Committee on 10th September 2018, were noted.

 

11.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

There were none.

 

12.

Public Forum statements

Members of the public may make a written statement. Please submit it to democratic.services@bristol.gov.uk or Democratic Services Section, City Hall, College Green, Bristol BS1 5UY.  The following requirement applies:

 

·       The statement is received no later than 12.00 noon on the working day before the meetingand is about a matter which is the responsibility of the committee concerned.

 

Minutes:

None were received

 

 

13.

Report on proposed decisions for councillors pdf icon PDF 1 MB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee first considered progress updates on the CIL and S106 funded projects approved at the 2018 Area Committee meeting as follows:

 

Project approved 2018

Project descriptions

Funding agreed

Delivery period

 

 

 

19/20 financial year

20/21 financial year

21/22 financial year

Parks

 

Crox Bottom Signage and Interpretation Project

Signage and Interpretation Project

£8,000 

 

 

 

Cottle Road Play Park

Improvements to Cottle Road Play Park

£40,000

 

 

 

King’s Head Park Improvement Project

Improvement Project

£25,850

 

 

 

Filwood Play: Inns Court & Novers

seating & park improvements

£20,000

 

 

 

Transport

 

Hengrove Lane

traffic calming

£50,000

 

 

 

Community

 

 

 

Wilmott Park

Support to create BMX Track

£35,000

 

 

 

Filwood Broadway

Street scene improvements

£10,000

Completed

 

 

Christ Church Hall

Upgrade

£7,000

Nov 2019

 

 

Trees

 

Uplands Tree replacement

Tree replacement

£2,065

Completed

 

Councillors expressed their frustration that the projects approved had not been completed or had taken longer than they expected.

 

With reference to Parks projects, funding had been agreed however none of the four projects had been completed.  Officers apologised for the delay which was largely an issue of resources.  Increased resource had been allocated to the Delivery Team however, their team did not have a full complement of staff.  An email would be sent to Councillors once a delivery schedule had been established. (ACTION: Richard Fletcher)

 

Councillor Morris made the Councillors aware that of the money allocated to each project (for CIL allocations) there would likely be a 20% reduction once costs for management and a contingency fund had been deducted.  For example, the Cottle Road Play Park award of £40,000 amounted to £32,000 following deductions.  

It was noted that section 106 allocations did not require extra funds for delivery.

 

There was concern that Members of the public considered quotes obtained through Council procedures higher than those acquired by the community.  Members of the public were aware how much equipment costs and were frustrated that they could not affect change themselves.  Officers confirmed that two or three quotes were sought and often the cheapest would be awarded the contract.  Suppliers needed to be on the Council’s approved list and due consideration needed to be given to insurance and maintenance.

 

With reference to transport items, Councillor Clough asked for an update on the dropped kerbs in her ward that had been allocated funds three years prior.  It was agreed that Councillor Clough would seek further information from officers regarding where the funds currently sat. (ACTION: Mark Sperduty)

 

Councillor Morris was concerned that S106 projects that were time sensitive could lose their money allocated due to the delay in delivery.  Mowberry Road was highlighted as an allocation of £30,000 and officers were asked to update Councillor Morris with progress (ACTION: Mark Sperduty)

 

With reference to all types of projects, it was agreed that Communications from officers could be improved, including information about which officer was leading the projects and its current status.  Councillors were often the middle person between the community and the Council and needed the right information in order to communicate effectively.  Officers agreed to send updated information to Members asap (ACTION: Mark  ...  view the full minutes text for item 13.