Agenda item

Reports on Proposed Decisions for Councillors

Minutes:

There was discussion about Redcliffe Hill underpass and debate over whether it would qualify for CIL funding requirements. Legal advice being used by transport officers is that it would not qualify, but this was disputed by some members. The advice was not made available to Councillors and there were no transport officers available at the meeting.

 

Some members were concerned that this a priority identified by residents at a public meeting and  therefore it was not appropriate the project was not being developed as a Stage 2 Proposal for the Area Committee by Transport because it was not on their ‘offer list’ to ACs. Some members felt the advice on eligibility was vague and incorrect e.g. that CIL couldn’t be used to fund gating of the underpass.

 

As the committee cannot agree a proposal without a report, an additional meeting was requested with an appropriate report from transport colleagues.                                                            Action: Keith H

 

Members also asked that the legal advice provided to Transport officers about CIL eligibility should be made available to AC4 councillors

 

Members were asked to note ongoing projects then approve each proposal in turn.

 

ALL PROJECTS were NOTED

 

FUNDS AVAILABLE were NOTED

 

KH noted that there was more funding available than in May and all proposals could be approved within the current envelope. For each proposal, the committee was asked to choose whether to use s.106 or CIL.

 

A question was asked about the Old Market planning area, which is included within Area Committee 4. Money from Old Market has to be spent there, but the rules are not clear. A meeting in May sketched out the limit of the CIL, with 2 pots generated by OMPA. Funds were not committed then, but the Chair has confirmed it was able to be spent. OMPA has generated £90k, which is currently unallocated.

 

ACTION KH to ask officers to flag in reports when OMPA funding is available or appropriate and to explore how to work with the Old Market Neighbourhood Planning Forum around their CIL  funding for future AC decision making .

 

ITEM 1 St Pauls Adventure Playground Bakery and Teaching Kitchen

Members noted that landowner permission for the development was pending for this project. This is due to BCC retaining ownership of the building and needing to give permission as landlord. The CAT process for transfer to the lease to APE should also be finalised.

 

£100,000 of CIL funding:

AGREED subject to landlord permission (Bristol City Council) 

 

ITEM 2 Scrapstore Accessible Access Routes

£29,764 of CIL funding:

AGREED

 

ITEM 3 St Werburgh’s City Farm Infrastructure Investment

Questions were raised on whether staffing and management costs of this project were eligible under CIL. Propagation place may not qualify. St Werburgh’s City Farm indicated that replacement of groundwork and the repair of the roof on the community building could be substituted for the staffing costs proposed in the Stage 2 Proposal, which would be eligible for CIL. At some point within a capital project there may be revenue costs.

AGREED – conditional on submission of quotes for the groundwork and roof repair capital spend that evidence expenditure that meet CIL criteria up to £43k approved.

 

ACTION – KH to liaise with farm and circulate details to members

 

£42,954 of CIL funding:

AGREED

 

 

ITEM 4 Castle Park Improvements

Members commented that the proposal had very little information compared to those submitted by external organisations.

Members agreed that improvement to park security was badly needed, with large amounts of people traveling through it being put at risk. Richard Fletcher confirmed that a Safety Plan is needed for Castle Park.

Noted that Castle Park does not have a support / friends group, so there is no one lobbying on its behalf. It would be helpful for members and officers to set one up.

Concern was raised that there is no mechanism for officers to prioritise AC decisions so they could end up on the back burner.

 

ACTION KH talk to officers to make sure proposals for area committees have an appropriate level of information

 

ACTION Richard Fletcher to flesh out proposal and circulate to members

 

£30,000 of S106 funding indicated as available in the report

AGREED

 

ITEM 5 Gateway Improvements to Stapleton Road Station

Members asked proposers about their engagement process. They confirmed that they spoke to local people, attended the Barton Hill Community Space prioritisation meeting, then Festival of Solutions on what community wants to see. Accessibility is the key issue for this station and the hope is these improvements will help future bids.

 

Members asked whether the improvements would employ local labour, but infrastructure on Network Rail sites is subject to their tendering process. AC asked this project to report back what they’ve achieved.

 

£200,000 of CIL funding:

AGREED

 

ITEM 6 Improvements to Barton Hill Boxing Club Building

 

£45,000 of CIL funding:

AGREED

 

ITEM 7 Hannah More Primary Community Extension

 

£90,000 of CIL funding from monies generated within Old Market Neighbourhood Plan area:

AGREED

 

ITEM 8 Troopers Hill Path Improvements

 

£25,000 of CIL funding:

AGREED

 

ITEM 9 St George Café Facilities Improvements

 

£89,526.36 of CIL funding:

£56,339.64 of S106 funding:

  • 06/05045 / 77 and 97 Nags Head Hill, St. George / ZCD: £713.83
  • 06/05045 / 77 and 79 Nags Head Hill, St. George / ZCD: £1,817.55
  • 05/03952 / 144 - 150 Church Road, Redfield / ZCD: £14,130.46
  • 05/05057 / 176 to 180 Church Road, St. George / ZCD: £15,039.14
  • 12/00801 / 345 to 347 Church Road, St. George: £629.18
  • 05/04006 / Blackswarth Road, St. George: £23,807.29
  • 07/03886 / Rock House, Bethel Road, St. George: £220.19

Total: £145,866:

AGREED

 

Priority items not coming forward to the meeting

Members requested an additional meeting to resolve Redcliffe Underpass and Tree Planting and S106 allocation. KH cautioned that the issues were on two different timetables that may not be able to be paired. Tree planting was unlikely to qualify as urgent in the legal sense. There is no report on tree planting and the tree team may not have the capacity to plant them this season. 

 

ACTION KH to coordinate additional meeting on Redcliffe Underpass and Tree Planting and clarifying S106 outstanding spend (together if possible)

 

KH informed members that a review of Area Committee process, including feedback from councillors and public, would start in November. Members confirmed they were happy to have full project details for Stage 2 proposals and found this helpful.

 

NOTED public sector equalities duty

 

Supporting documents: