Agenda and draft minutes

Henbury, Brentry and Southmead Neighbourhood Partnership
Tuesday, 28th June, 2016 7.00 pm

Venue: Greenway Centre, Doncaster Road, Southmead, BS10 5PY

Contact: Louise deCordova 

Items
No. Item

1.

Chairing Arrangements

Minutes:

The Democratic Services Officer asked the Neighbourhood Partnership to consider the Membership and Chairing arrangements for 2016/17.  Brenda Massey was duly elected as Chair.

 

The Neighbourhood Partnership AGREED to continue with the rotating Neighbourhood Partnership Chair arrangements.

2.

Apologies for Absence pdf icon PDF 75 KB

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Jayne Gregory, Paul Bolton-Jones (Police) and Tanya Leake.

3.

Declarations of Interest

To note any declarations of interest from the Councillors.  They are asked to indicate the relevant agenda item, the nature of the interest and in particular whether it is a disclosable pecuniary interest.

 

Please note that the Register of Interests is available at https://www.bristol.gov.uk/councillors/members-interests-gifts-and-hospitality-register

 

Any declarations of interest made at the meeting which is not on the register of interests should be notified to the Monitoring Officer for inclusion.

 

Minutes:

None declared.

4.

Minutes of the previous meeting pdf icon PDF 163 KB

To agree the minutes of the last meeting as a correct record.

Matters Arising and Action Sheet.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Neighbourhood Partnership considered the Minutes and the Action Sheet.

 

The Neighbourhood Partnership AGREED that the minutes of the Henbury, Brentry and Southmead Neighbourhood Partnership on 29 March 2016 be confirmed as a correct record and signed by the Chair subject to the following amendment:

 

Councillor Weston to be identified as Chair instead of Councillor Smith.

 

The Neighbourhood Partnership considered the action sheet. All updates relating to outstanding actions were noted.

 

a.      KH advised that The Henbury and Brentry Community Council School Holidays community drop-in morning had been cancelled and therefore £600 had been returned to the fund.

b.      KH confirmed that Wellbeing grant monitoring was still outstanding from some groups and would be chased a final time.

Action: Keith Houghton

 

c.       It was noted that the Police and Crime Commissioner had not yet finalised their priorities and therefore the Neighbourhood Partnership had an opportunity to influence the Commissioners priorities if they acted quickly.  The Neighbourhood Partnership agreed to write to the Police and Crime Commissioner to make a formal request to hold a public meeting in North Bristol.  The Neighbourhood Partnership Coordinator to invite neighbouring Neighbourhood Partnerships to the event.

Action: Keith Houghton

 

d.      It was confirmed that the Section 106 funding for cycling infrastructure due to expire in June 2016 was being utilised. Keith Houghton to seek more information from BCC Transport.

Action: Keith Houghton

 

5.

Public Forum

Any member of the public or councillor may participate in public forum.  The detailed arrangements for so doing are set out in the public information sheet at the back of this agenda.  Public forum items should be emailed to democratic.services@bristol.gov.uk   - please note that the following deadlines will apply in relation to this meeting:-

 

Questions - written questions must be received at least 3 clear working days prior to the meeting.  For this meeting, this means that your question(s) must be received in this office at the latest by 5.00 pm on Wednesday 22 June 2016.

 

Petitions and written statements - petitions and written statements must be received on the working day prior to the meeting.  For this meeting, this means that your submission must be received in this office at the latest by 12.00 noon on Monday 27 June 2016.

 

 

Minutes:

None received.

6.

Neighbourhood Partnership AGM Report 2016 (Keith Houghton) pdf icon PDF 126 KB

2015/16 AGM Business Report and Financial Statement; AGM Elections – Chair & Vice-Chair; NP Terms of Reference & Neighbourhood Committee Terms of Reference (draft)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Neighbourhood Partnership considered the annual report from Keith Houghton, Neighbourhood Partnership Co-coordinator.

 

The following was noted as part of the discussion: - 

 

a.      Confirmed that the Henbury, Brentry and Community Council would normally elect 8 representatives in order to hold 2 in reserve/substitutes in the event of any absence.  Nominations to be sent and considered at the next Henbury, Brentry and Community Council meeting.

Action: Interested Residents

 

b.      In response to changes in ward boundaries, it was confirmed that further development work was in progress to ensure that all residents were enabled and encouraged to get involved.

c.       Resident members requested clarification and a legal definition of ‘Devolved Powers’, with particular regard to ‘decisions relating to council-owned community centres and buildings’.

Action: Keith Houghton

 

d.      KH confirmed that it had not been possible to obtain the breakdown of expenditure from the Highways Department.

 

e.      No amendments had been made to the Terms of Reference from the previous year except the Partnership’s name change; and was subject to the Mayor’s delegation of decisions to be agreed at the September meeting of Full Council.

 

The Neighbourhood Partnership AGREED: –

 

(i)             That Cllr Massey be elected as Chair and that the chairing arrangements for 2016/17 would continue as in previous years - Neighbourhood Committees and Partnership meetings would be held alternatively in each of the Wards and would be chaired by one of the elected Councillor representatives from the Ward. 

 

(ii)           That the Neighbourhood Committee and Neighbourhood Partnership Terms of Reference, and the Neighbourhood Committee Financial Operating Framework be noted.

 

(iii)         That the devolved budgets and influence on services be noted.

 

(iv)         That the meeting schedule including subgroups and forums be agreed.

 

(v)           That the financial statement and expenditure for 2015-16 be noted.

7.

Neighbourhood Partnership Business Report (Keith Houghton) pdf icon PDF 192 KB

Wellbeing decisions,  Fundraiser working group and further NP Governance & Plan work; future Traffic & Transport sub-group

 

Minutes:

The Neighbourhood Partnership considered the business activities report from Keith Houghton, Neighbourhood Partnership Co-coordinator.

 

The Neighbourhood Committee RESOLVED that the recommendations of the Southmead Wellbeing Panel to allocate £3,035 from the 2016/2017 Wellbeing Fund for the applications received as set out below be approved:

 

Organisation

Purpose

Amount recommended

Fonthill Primary School

The Garden Courtyard Project £1,400 requested

£1,000

Friends of Badock's Wood

Looking After Badock's Wood - Advice Leaflet £679 requested

£500

Southmead Festival Committee

Health & Wellbeing at Southmead Festival £400 requested

£400

Working in Southmead for Health

Greenway Playscheme £1,000 requested

£1,000

North Bristol Domestic Abuse Forum

North Bristol Domestic Abuse Forum Autumn Conference (£135 requested)

£135


Total Allocation

£3,035

2016/17 Funds remaining to allocate

£7,707

 

Cllr Weston abstained from the vote to approve funding to Henbury and Brentry Community Council due to having a declared interest.

 

The Neighbourhood Committee RESOLVED that the recommendations of the Henbury/Brentry Wellbeing Panel to allocate £3,695 from the 2016/2017 Wellbeing Fund for the applications receivedas set out below be approved:

 

Organisation

Purpose

Amount Recommended

Henbury and Brentry Community Council

Community Action Plan Launch event £400 requested

£400

Welcome Club

Welcome Group, Entertainment for older people

£480

Working in Southmead for Health

Supporting Extend Group in Henbury £480 requested

£480

Blaise Community Garden

Replacement of faulty roof covering of training/meeting building £1,800 requested

£1,800

Emmanuel Chapel

Emmanuel Henbury Youth - Summer Trip £400 requested

£400

North Bristol Domestic Abuse Forum

North Bristol Domestic Abuse Forum Autumn Conference £135 requested

£135

Total Allocation

£3,695

2016/17 Funds remaining to allocate

£7,114*

*note includes £600 returned by H&B Community Council approved from 2015/16 budget

 

The Neighbourhood Committee RESOLVED that the Wellbeing Panel’s recommendations not to allocate funding as set out below be approved:

 

Southmead Applications not recommended for funding

 

ORGANISATION

PURPOSE

AMOUNT REQUESTED

REASON

Southmead Development Trust

Falls Prevention Project

£968

Did not score enough to be considered for funding; applicant asked to cost out items; equalities benefit not explored clearly; Panel thought other funding should be sought, not simply the Wellbeing

 

Henbury and Brentry Applications not recommended for funding

 

ORGANISATION

PURPOSE

AMOUNT REQUESTED

REASON

Branch Community Church

IMPs Toddler Group

£2,400

Panel deferred to next round: would like to see a breakdown of income from fees over next 2 years; how group plans its sustainability; only willing to fund on 1 year basis; encourage to seek other potential financial support, not rely on Wellbeing alone

Henbury Community Art Group

Henbury School Community Art Group equipment

£1,206

Panel deferred to next round: Panel is keen to support the project: but wants to know how the project will be sustainable; encourage to pursue other funders as well as Wellbeing; is there any income from participants?

 

The partnership discussed the pros and cons of combining resources with other Neighbourhood Partnerships to employ a fund raiser.  It was confirmed that further research was required, St George Neighbourhood Partnership could provide more detail on how this had been implemented and how this was currently being managed.  ...  view the full minutes text for item 7.

8.

Neighbourhood Partnership Plan Update Report (Keith Houghton) pdf icon PDF 133 KB

Fonthill Park flood defence proposal, adopting draft new NP Plan; NP plan updates and citywide wellbeing review and NP priorities event attendance

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Neighbourhood Partnership considered the business activities report from Keith Houghton, Neighbourhood Partnership Co-coordinator.Patrick Goodey, the Flood Risk team manager outlined the flood defence work proposed in Fonthill Park.

 

The following was noted as part of the discussion: -

 

Fonthill Flood Defence Work

      a.            It was confirmed that the Fonthill scheme would cost £70k with £50k coming from the Environment Agency and £20k being funded by the Council.  There would be no cost to the Partnership.

      b.            Concerns were raised over the safety of the scheme with particular regard to the proximity of the scheme to a local primary school.  It was confirmed that safety was paramount and construction design regulations were being adhered to.

       c.            Questions were raised over the ownership of land that ringed the football ground and whether the agricultural growth was a natural defence against flooding or a contributor to the flooding problem which needed to be removed.  Flood Risk manager to investigate ownership of the land and report findings.

Action :Patrick Goodey

Neighbourhood Partnership Plan

      d.            It was confirmed that the draft Neighbourhood Partnership plan would be published online

      e.            It was confirmed that the Wellbeing process was being reviewed across the city in order to simplify the process and make the best use of shrinking resources.

        f.            The Partnership agreed that Parks access work could be submitted as an example case study for the Citywide NP meeting on 20th July. The access work in the Southmead area had been working with disabled people to meet aspirations to improve access for motorised scooters and parents with large buggies. The work had needed to be balanced against concerns over access and misuse of motorcycles.

 

The Neighbourhood Partnership AGREED: –

 

(i)            to a) support the change of use for proposed Flood defence work at Fonthill and b) remove the existing action within the Neighbourhood Partnership Plan

(ii)          that the Draft Neighbourhood Partnership Action Plan and the draft Delivery programme for July 2016-Dec 2017, be noted and that a further Development day be set up to refine the plan, attach Neighbourhood Partnership resources to its delivery and develop the governance elements further

 

(iii)        That the updates on actions to deliver the existing Neighbourhood Partnership Plan be noted.

 

(iv)        To nominate Cllr Weston and resident Anthony Hollick to represent Henbury, Brentry and Southmead on the Wellbeing Fund working group. 

         

(v)          To present the Neighbourhood Partnerships work around access to parks as an example of good practice for shared conversations at the July Citywide Neighbourhood Partnership meeting.

Action: Keith Houghton

 

9.

Green Capital Projects Update 3 (Ed Norton, Lifecycle) pdf icon PDF 67 KB

Report back on achievement of Green Capital project

 

Minutes:

The Neighbourhood Partnership considered the verbal update and presentation from Chrissie Decker, LifeCycle. (presentation attached)

 

The following was noted as part of the discussion: - 

 

      a.            The Partnership was keen to see this project continued throughout the summer months and replicated in other wards.

      b.            There were a number of funding options that could be explored either via an application through the Neighbourhood Partnership Wellbeing fund or via a 2012 Olympics legacy fund administered by Quartet Community Foundation entitled ’14 Fund’.  The information would be passed on to the teams fund raiser by Ed Norton.

Action: Ed Norton

 

       c.            The Partnership suggested the use of volunteers to build capacity in the scheme. The team would be interested in exploring this further. The Neighbourhood Partnership Coordinator to pass on details of people who could progress this work to Serge Chapman.

 

Action: Chrissie Decker and Keith Houghton

 

      d.            The Bike Back scheme had been nominated for a National award and Life Cycle asked people to log on to vote for them.

10.

Southmead Town Centre Vision (George Grace) pdf icon PDF 67 KB

Update on the work done to date to develop a vision for improving the long-term viability of Southmead Arnside and Glencoyne as a town centre and thriving High Street

Minutes:

The Neighbourhood Partnership considered the verbal update and presentation from Alan Piper and Deana Perry on the work done to date to develop a vision for improving the long-term viability of Southmead Arnside and Glencoyne as a town centre and thriving High Street. (presentation to follow)

 

The following was noted as part of the discussion: - 

      a.            That it was important to ensure as wide a consultation as possible with residents to ensure that their views were heard.

 

The Neighbourhood Partnership AGREED to note the report.

 

 

11.

Henbury and Brentry Community Plan (Tim Parkinson)

Verbal update on achievement of Henbury and Brentry Community Plan.

 

Minutes:

The Neighbourhood Partnership considered the verbal update on the achievement of Henbury and Brentry Community Plan from Tim Parkinson.

      a.            The draft plan submitted to the DCLG and been approved in early April and the plan would be launched at an event on 23rd July.  The plan would be delivered to every house in the wards.

 

The Neighbourhood Partnership AGREED to note the report.

 

12.

Matters Arising

Minutes:

      a.            Partnership members were asked to report any instances of hate crime or racism to the police or SARI particularly in the light of recent events.

 

      b.            There were a number of events and surveys taking place in the community and the Neighbourhood Partnership Coordinator was asked to circulate an email to all residents with the details, including the Job Club and Southmead Festival.

Action: Keith Houghton