Agenda item

Terms of Reference for 2017/18 Municipal Year

Members are requested to note the following Terms of Reference for the Public Rights of Way and Greens Committee for 2017/18 as agreed at the Annual Meeting of Full Council on Tuesday 23rd May 2017:






Full Council has delegated to the Public Rights of Way and Greens Committee all functions relating to public rights of way and greens are as specified in Regulation 2 and Schedule 1 to the Local Authorities (Functions and Responsibilities) (England) Regulations 2000 (as amended) under the following provisions and any related secondary legislation:


List  A   Non-Executive  Functions  Delegated  to  the  Business

Change Directorate


1.      Functions relating to the registration of common land and town or village greens (part 1 Commons Act 2006 and the Commons Registration (England) Regulations 2008);

2.      Power to register variation of rights of common (Regulation 29 of the  Commons  Registration  (General)  Regulations  1966  (S.I.


3.      Power to apply for an enforcement order against unlawful works on common land (Section 41 Commons Act 2006);

4.      Power to protect unclaimed common land and unclaimed town and village greens against unlawful interference (Section 45(2)(a)

Commons Act 2006); and

5.      Power  to   institute  proceedings  for   offences  in   respect  of unclaimed registered common land or unclaimed town or village greens (Section 45(2)(b) of the Commons Act 2006).


List     B         Non-Executive    Functions    Delegated    to     the

Neighbourhoods and Place Directorates


6.      Power to grant a street works license (section 50 of the New

Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (c.22)).

7.      Power to permit deposit of builder’s skip on highway (section 139 of the Highways Act 1980 (c.66) (“the Act”)).

8.      Duty to publish notice in respect of proposal to grant permission under section 115E of the Act (section 115E of the Act).

9.      Power to license planning, retention and maintenance of trees etc. in part of highway (Section 142 of the Act).

10.    Power  to  authorise  erection  of  stiles  etc.  on  footpaths  or bridleways (section 147 of the Act).

11.    Power to license works in relation to buildings etc. which obstruct

the highway (Section 169 of the Act).




12.       Power to consent to temporary deposits or excavations in streets

(section 171 of the Act).

13.       Power to  dispense with obligation to  erect hoarding or  fence

(section 172 of the Act).

14.       Power to restrict the placing of rails, beams etc over highways

(section 178 of the Act).

15.       Power  to  consent  to  construction of  cellars  etc.  under  street

(section 179 of the Act).

16.    Power to consent to the making of openings into cellars etc. under streets and pavement lights and ventilators (section 180 of the Act).

17.   Power to create footpath, bridleway or restricted byway by agreement (section 25 of the Act (C.66)).

18.       Power  to  create  footpaths,  bridleways  and  restricted  byways

(section 26 of the Act).

19.   Duty to keep register of information with respect to maps, statements and declarations (section 31A of the Act).

20.       Power to stop up footpaths, bridleways and restricted byways

(section 118 of the Act).

21.    Power to determine application for public path extinguishment order (sections 118ZA and 118C(2) of the Act).

22.       Power to make a rail crossing extinguishment order (section 118A

of the Act).

23.       Power to make special extinguishment order (section 118B of the


24.       Power  to  divert  footpaths,  bridleways  and  restricted  byways

(section 119 of the Act).

25.       Power to make a public path diversion order (sections 119ZA and

119C(4) of the Act).

26.    Power to make a rail crossing diversion order (section 119A of the Act).

27.       Power to make a special diversion order (section 119B of the


28.       Power  to  require  applicant  for  order  to  enter  into  agreement

(section 119C(3) of the Act).

29.       Power to make an SSSI diversion order (section 119D of the Act).

30.       Duty to keep register with respect to applications under sections

118ZA, 118C, 119ZA and 119C of the Act (section 121B of the


31.       Power to decline to determine certain applications (section 121C

of the Act).

32.    Duty to assert and protect the rights of the pubic to use and enjoyment of highways (section 130 of the Act).

33.       Duty to serve notice of proposed action in relation to obstruction

(section 115E of the Act).




34.       Power to apply for variation of order under section 130B of the

Act (section 130B(7) of the Act).

35.       Power to authorise temporary disturbance of surface of footpath, bridleway or restricted byway (section 135 of the Act).

36.       Power temporarily divert footpath, bridleway or restricted byway

(section 135A of the Act).

37.       Functions relating to the making good of damage and the removal of obstructions (section 135B of the Act).

38.       Powers  relating  to  the  removal  of  things  so  deposited  on highways as to be a nuisance (section 149 of the Act).

39.       Power to extinguish certain public rights of way (section 32 of the

Acquisition of Land Act 1981 (c.67)).

40.       Duty to keep definitive map and statement under review (section

53 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (c.69)).

41.       Power to include modifications in other orders (section 53A of the

Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981).

42.       Duty to keep register of prescribed information with respect to applications under section 53(5) of the Wildlife and Countryside

Act 1981 (section 53B of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981).

43.       Power to prepare map and statement (section 57A of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981).

44.       Power to designate footpath as cycle track (section 3 of the Cycle

Tracks Act 1984 (c.38)).

45.       Power to extinguish public right of way over land acquired for clearance (section 294 of the Housing Act 1981 (c.68)).

46.       Power to enter into agreements with respect to means of access

(section  35  of  the  Countryside and  Rights  of  Way  Act  2000 (c.37)).

47.       Power to provide access to absence of agreement (section 37 of the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000).

48.       Power to make limestone pavement order (section 34(2) of the

Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (c.69)).

49.       Power to discharge and acquire from other authorities, functions relating to Definitive Map Modification Orders and Public Path

Orders (section 101 of the Local Government Act 1972.




The Committee noted their Terms of Reference for 2017/18 Municipal Year.